Google

Monday, September 28, 2015

Visual Literacy

Visual literacy is the ability to interpret, negotiate, and make meaning from information presented in the form of an image, extending the meaning of literacy, which commonly signifies interpretation of a written or printed text. Visual literacy is based on the idea that pictures can be “read” and that meaning can be through a process of reading.


The notion of visual literacy has been transforming the age of digital learning and reflecting the transformation of datagogies for quite some time. Classical and Medieval theories of memory and learning, for instance, placed a strong emphases on how the visual format of words and lines affected the ordering of information in the mind. During the Enlightenment new emphasis was placed on training the senses through print and graphic technologies in a way that benefited the rising middle class. By the nineteenth century visual literacy was a core component of the national educations systems that were emerging in Europe and North America, with educational reformers like Sir John Lubbock arguing for visual tools like diagrams and models to be used in the classroom.


Visual literacy is the ability to evaluate, apply, or create conceptual visual representations. Skills include the evaluation of advantages and disadvantages of visual representations, to improve shortcomings, to use them to create and communicate knowledge, or to devise new ways of representing insights. The purpose of linking visualization with literacy is to  give the necessary critical attitude, principles, tools and feedback for students to develop their own high-quality visualization formats for specific problems (problem-based learning). 

How do you personally use visual literacy to resolve or solve problems that you are presented on a daily basis (think of your use of the cell phone, computer, school, your job, driving, work, etc.)

9 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

When I drive with my mom or dad I have to use the road signs to interpret what to do for instance a octagon shape with stop on it means to stop. The stoplights tell when you to go stop, yield(slow down) , or go so accidents are less likely to happen. As far as social media goes when a meme is posted we have to interpret the meaning of it in order for it to be funny. Also in social media when I get advertise something is tends to have a lot of colors that appeals to girls because they are trying to get me to buy all their products. In the classroom my teachers tend to use a lot of graphic organizers , that help us to understand the material that is needed to be known according to the curriculum.

9:23 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I use visual literacy whenever I'm decoding things that I see in advertisement's and on social media.

9:32 AM  
Anonymous Kirby , Evan said...

When I used visual literacy , it is usually when I am on social media. The way that visual literacy comes about is that if i see something that i do not like or it may bother me. I'd put an emoji in the comments or just a little something like that.I do that so that the person who posted the content would no that I have a problem with it.

12:21 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

12:35 PM  
Anonymous mykal good said...

visual literacy helps me in life when I am using my cell phone. visual literacy helps me when I am looking at pictures or certain things on my phone. And it also helps me understand a message that someone has sent me.

12:38 PM  
Anonymous Annie Long said...

A way I resolve or solve problems by using visual literacy in the media is by posting videos or pictures on social media of real world problems. When other people see it they are likely to repost it. This lets the news spread so everyone can find out what problems are going on in the world. It creates something almost like a family because most people that have the same opinion on the topic and will stick together and fight for what they believe.

12:52 PM  
Anonymous Angelica Maddux said...

If I'm having trouble explaining something, I'll draw a graph.

2:05 PM  
Anonymous DaShawn Walden said...

Visual Literacy is used everyday , and within my life .. Like the use of emojis through text messages , or the simple icons used as alerts or directional purposes , also while driving .. different signs have different meanings to regulate traffic

2:07 PM  
Anonymous Jessica Rogers said...

Driving is a great example of using visual literacy when it comes to traffic signs and depicting how to navigate based on then shapes and colors of the signs. Even at work we have different colors that we label food to show what we throw away each day. For example, if a food product was made yesterday and is labeled with a blue sticker, that means that in one day that has to be thrown out.

12:03 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home